A room destroyed by fire on a farm in Denbigh
A room on a Denbigh farmhouse was destroyed after a chimney fire spread, it has been confirmed.
North Wales Fire and Rescue Services received a call at 5.35am on Thursday, reporting the incident, at a ‘house farm’ in Hendre Wydd.
Four crews were present – from Denbigh, St Asaph, Ruthin and Abergele.
On the property, crews found the living room and bedroom above “well lit” and used two hose reel jets to fight the flames.
Six sets of breathing apparatus were also used, along with a pair of thermal imaging cameras.
A spokesperson said the cause was confirmed to be a chimney fire that spread and 100% of the damage from the fire was to the bedroom, with 50% of the damage from the fire to the living room and 60% of the smoke damage to the entire property.
No one was injured in the incident, the spokesperson said.
Firefighters confirmed the incident was over shortly after 8:50 a.m.
The North Wales Fire and Rescue Service has released the above image in the wake of the incident, along with advice to members of the public on the chimney fires.
A spokesperson said: “All chimneys and flues should be cleaned and checked to make sure they are free of debris and in perfect working order before the heating season.
“A clogged or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning, so it is very important to employ a qualified professional chimney sweep such as those certified by the National Association of Chimney Sweeps.
“The regular maintenance of your chimney will depend on the fuel you burn – if you burn oil or gas your chimney should be swept once a year, Bituminous – coal twice a year, wood up to four times a year and smokeless coals at least once a year.
“Do not burn wet wood – all burnt wood should have a moisture content not exceeding 17 percent.
“When planning to heat your home, it’s important to buy the right size appliance for your room – an appliance that is too large will never be used hot enough to volatilize all the fuel in the wood and unburned fuel will pass. through the chimney as smoke and condenses in the flue as extremely flammable creosote. ”