IBEX Innovation Award winners announced
The International Boat Builders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) today announced the winners of the IBEX Innovation Awards for the 30th Anniversary Show. The IBEX Innovation Awards program is administered by the NMMA and judged by Boating Writers International (BWI). The judges selected 11 innovation award winners and three honorable mentions from dozens of entries submitted by maritime trade companies.
The awards were presented at the annual Industry, Conference and Innovation Breakfast Presentation, held this morning at the JW Marriott Tampa Water Street. All products submitted to the IBEX Innovation Awards will be on display along the Innovation Way located on the 2nd floor of the Tampa Convention Center throughout the show.
The winners of the IBEX 2021 Innovation Trophies are:
- Boat care and maintenance: Gibco Flex-Mold Inc., Re-Deck: “This is a comprehensive selection of gelcoat deck designs that simplifies and reduces the cost of deck repairs,” said Justice Bill Bishop.
- Boat building methods and materials: Sika Corporation, Adekit A236: “An excellent, high strength, low temperature curing two-component adhesive that can be used in bulk without discolouring the gelcoat,” said Justice Bill Gius.
- Deck equipment and material: LilliPad Marine, ghost mount: “Almost invisible but incredibly strong, this versatile floor mount system is a real game changer for builders and consumers,” said Judge Brady Kay.
- Honorable mention: Navigable innovations, scuppers.
- Electrical systems: Discover Battery, LITHIUM BLUE: “Completely usable in the field, Lithium Blue will certainly have an impact on this growing segment,” said Judge Adam Quandt.
- Honorable mention: Raymarine, YachtSense modular digital control system.
- Entertainment: RideController, LED +: “This is an innovative use of neopixel LEDs and advances the art of yacht lighting,” said Judge Bill Bishop.
- Furniture and interior parts: GUARDTEX, Kanvaslight: “The flexibility of the fiber optics of this product is a versatile way to provide practical and decorative lighting built into a soft bimini top,” said Judge Steve Davis.
- Mechanical systems: XLYEM, Jabsco Quiet Flush E2: “A simple solution to a potentially messy situation,” said Judge Ben Stein.
- OEM electronics: Volvo Penta, assisted reception: “Volvo’s assisted mooring allows the skipper to catch his breath in stressful situations while giving him precise control of the vessel,” said Judge Ben Stein.
- Propulsion parts, Propellers: HydroFin, Super Fly: “A well-designed hydrofoil system that dramatically improves the handling and performance of any double pontoon boat,” said Judge Brady Kay.
- Security equipment: OSCAR Navigation, Sentinel: “Sentry’s advanced use of machine learning from millions of events on the water makes boating safer underway and at rest,” said Justice Ben Stein.
- Honorable mention: inteliPlug, the safe.
- Trailers, trailer parts and accessories: Innovative Group Inc., Roller Bunk: “A new way to avoid overloading and erosion of launching ramps that can be adapted to an existing trailer,” said the judge and Nautical industry editor-in-chief Quandt.
“This year’s Innovation Awards program saw an incredible collection of nominations,” said Anne Dunbar, IBEX Director. “The judges from Boating Writers International had their work cut out for them to select the winners who would join the ranks of the hundreds of boat builders who have been recognized throughout the history of the program and receive the magnificent crystal awards. These trophies are proudly presented by those who have brought innovative new products to market and are a hallmark of distinction recognized throughout the industry. We would like to thank everyone who participated and congratulate those who won.
IBEX is scheduled to return to the Tampa Convention Center, with IBEX 2022 dates set for September 27-29, 2022. For more information, visit www.ibexshow.com.