Mission family fight for land as governor announces plans to continue building border wall
MISSION, Texas (KVEO) – Governor Greg Abbott announced his intention to continue construction of the border wall during the Public Health Summit on June 9.
The border wall extends to Mission where there are currently gaps. The federal government seized land from owners earlier this year in an attempt to complete the wall.
Legal experts respond to Governor Abbott’s border wall and immigration plan
Over two decades of land ownership and two years of fighting in court, six and a half acres were confiscated from the Cavazos family in April.
“President Biden has said no more wall, no more fall and no more land confiscation, but yet our land has been confiscated,” said Reynaldo Anzaldua, a relative of the Cavazos family.
President Joe Biden signed a executive decree earlier this year putting construction of the border wall on hiatus.
South Padre Island sees increased numbers of jellyfish and stingrays
Abbott announced that the border would continue to be built, but without financial assistance from the federal government.
“The State of Texas will do everything possible to secure the border and keep your communities safe,” Abbott said.
Anzaldua said the experience was not new to him or his family and has been happening for generations.
Harlingen Humane Society reaches overcapacity for cats
The family told KVEO that they will continue to fight in any legal way possible.
The family were not informed of the start of the construction of the border wall on their property and were not informed in writing that their land was seized.