Bursar of the Faculty of Science of Masaryk University announces open competition for the position Postdoctoral position (PostDoc II) in Evolutionary Ecology, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Workplace: Parasitology Research Group, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract, non-academic
Business hours: 1.0 FTE (full-time job 40 hours per week)
Expected start date: 2022 (preferably March, if necessary start date to be negotiated)
Number of open positions: 1
To pay: 40,000 CZK per month / negotiable
Registration deadline: February 6, 2022
EU researcher profile: R2
About the workplace
Masaryk University is the second largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, over 5,000 staff and over 30,000 students.
FFaculty of Sciences MU, a proud holder of the Research HR Excellence Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering a university education (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and secondary education of the following sciences: mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit at Masaryk University, generating approximately 40% of MU’s research results.
Department of Botany and Zoology is a modern research and teaching center in the fields of evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. His individual research groups study the phylogenetic relationships and classification of organisms, their diversity from local to continental level, and the ecological relationships of species, populations and individual communities in relation to natural and human-induced changes in entire ecosystems.
The postdoctoral position is open within the framework of the grant project of prof. Andrea Vetešníková Šimková, project title: Evolutionary and ecological mechanisms of the coexistence of asexual and sexual reproduction in fish.
The objective of the project is to study the mechanisms facilitating the coexistence of asexuals (triploids) and sexuals (diploids) of the gibel carp (Carassius gibelio), the unique cyprinid fish exhibiting a double mode of reproduction. More specifically, the project will study 1) the contribution of abiotic, demographic and behavioral factors, and the parasite burden on the coexistence of sexual and asexual forms, 2) and the differential expression of immune genes and genes associated with sexual reproduction. and asexuals.
The candidate selected for the postdoctoral position will be mainly responsible for the molecular parts of the projects (design of experiments in collaboration with the mentor, optimization and realization of molecular analyzes, guidance of the molecular analyzes of the students involved in the project, biological interpretation of the bioinformatic analyzes carried out. in collaboration with CEITEC MUNI, coordination of the molecular part of the project, interpretation of the results, presentations at international conferences, publication of the results of the project in international journals).
The holder of this PostDoc position must carry out his work fully in the presence of the Department of Botany and Zoology of the MU Faculty of Sciences in Brno, with the exception of business trips (conferences, workshops or fieldwork).
Skills and qualifications
- Doctorate in molecular biology, molecular ecology, ecology, zoology, evolutionary biology, bioinformatics or related fields (completed less than eight years ago)
- Excellent molecular training of the candidate is required, at least an intermediate level of bioinformatics and training in data analysis is required, training in biology (evolutionary biology) is appreciated.
- International experience (studies, employment, conferences, scientific collaboration)
- Publishing experience (the first or corresponding author of at least three articles indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Fluency in spoken and written English demonstrated by previous international publications and presentations at conferences or internships
- Good communication and organizational skills, motivation for teamwork
- Flexible and independent way to organize work with a clear focus on science
Informal job inquiries can be sent to prof. Andrea Vetešníková Šimková, email [email protected]
- Possibility of scientific work on an attractive scientific subject as part of participation in a scholarship project
- Teamwork with the participation of other professional institutions
- Possibility of own organization of partial project tasks
- Possibility of accompanying students of the bachelor’s or master’s study program involved in the project
- Presentation of results obtained at international conferences and establishment of other international relations
- Flexible work hours and occasional home office to meet personal needs and career fit
- Interesting work in a growing academic field
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to meet personal needs for family and work compatibility
- Social benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in MU canteens, multisport card, free vaccinations, language courses at reduced prices, university cinema discount, price offer exclusive mobile by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on the cost of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office supports you in your move to Brno
The request must be submitted online before February 6, 2022 via an electronic application, please find the reference to the e-application at the beginning and at the end of the advertisement.
The candidate must provide the following documents:
- CV including a list of publications (with a clear indication of the articles indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Cover letter explaining the candidate’s interest in the proposed project, previous experiences in a molecular biology laboratory, and previous participations in evolutionary biology, molecular biology and molecular ecology projects (alternatively fish biology or fish immunology)
- Letters of recommendation from two reference persons (supervisors, laboratory manager, etc.) including their email addresses
After successfully submitting your application, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Applications received will be carefully considered in accordance with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meet the qualification requirements described above, (ii) provide all required documents.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days of the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates who meet the requirements of the position.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be viewed here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We look forward to hearing from you!