Electronic tax

Two letters from the IRS to watch for this tax season

FILE – In this March 22, 2013 file photo, the exterior of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) building is seen in Washington. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File)

(NEXSTAR) – Tax season officially started on Monday, January 24. As you prepare to file your 2021 taxes, you’ll want to watch for two letters from the IRS to make sure you get the money you deserve.

This year, the IRS is sending two letters – Letter 6419 and Letter 6475 – to eligible Americans.

The first applies to child tax credit payments. According to the IRS, Letter 6419 shows the total amount of child tax credit advance payments you received in 2021 and the number of eligible children used to calculate the payments.

You can see an example of Letter 6419 here.

Whether or not you qualify for the credit, the letter asks you to file Schedule 8812. This will help you claim your remaining credit or determine if you need to repay any of the payments you received in 2021.

You can also view the deposits you have received in line. If you were eligible to receive payments but did not, the The taxman says you can claim the full child tax credit amount on your 2021 federal tax returns. Families who don’t normally need to file a tax return must do so to receive their payments.

The other letter, letter 6475, is for the third stimulus payment and shows the amount you received in stimulus money last year.

This includes any additional payments, which were additional payments the IRS sent to people who received a third stimulus check based on a 2019 tax return or information from the Social Security Administration, the Railroad Retirement Board or Veterans Affairs. Increased payments have also been sent to those eligible for a larger amount based on their 2020 tax return, according to the tax authorities.

Letter 6475 only applies to the third economic impact payment, which was issued in March and distributed throughout the year. You can use this letter to determine if you can claim salvage rebate credit when you come back.

While most eligible Americans have already received their payment, those who miss theirs should claim the recovery rebate credit. Stimulus checks are not taxable, but must be reported when you file your taxes.

Taxes must be filed by April 18 of this year.